San Antonio

San Antonio

Saturday, February 6, 2010

The First Letter!

We are very excited to receive Elder Mangum's first letter to home. We would like to share it with you:

Hey!!! Things are really starting to speed along here. Man, those first few days were really long and overwhelming, but these past few days have just flown by. We went to the TRC for the first time on Monday. We had to contact a random person for 5 minutes in pure Spanish getting to know him and what his needs are, and then we taught the first discussion in English. It's crazy, I've already taught the first discussion 4 times with my companion Elder Eide (pronounced I'd). And tonight, I am teaching a small part of a lesson to Elder Flake from my zone, in Spanish!! Haha we'll see how that goes... but honestly, my two years of Spanish have really helped here in the MTC. My companion still kinda struggles with the language but we've only been here for a little over a week so there's still so much time for learning.
My teachers are Hermano Del Toro and Hermana Smith. They are awesome. Hermano Del Toro is a skinny little fiery teacher who's first language is Spanish but is teaching us in English! He's amazingly smart and a great leader. Hermana Smith is a short little blonde girl and, as we all agree, is kind of a nice break from Hermano Del Toro, haha in the sense that women are a possibly a little more sympathetic than the men :) She is sooo nice and very smart! Del Toro is 23 and served in Buenos Aires, Argentina and hermana Smith is 23 also and served in Puerto Rico.My district leader Elder Cook who is from rexburg, is such a great leader. He's always makin sure we're on task and being obedient to everything, which is so important!
The food is alright I guess, much like the Cannon Center so I am very used to it haha. But thank you Meegan for sending me those homemade thin mints, they were very yummy! Mail time is an exciting time! I have to be honest, I didn't think I'd want a lot of letters, but it's so awesome when we hear from you. Thank you for sending letters they really brighten the day I can tell you that much! Ya, that DearElder site is pretty handy, so use it often haha.
On Wednesday, more Elders like Mitch Mathews and Craig Bills (BYU Football), Justin Lindstrom, and a couple friends from BYU showed up so it was nice to finally be more experienced than some people rather than being the new guys ha.
I'm trying to work hard, I have really come closer to our Heavenly Father and our Savior during this past week. We pray a lot, but it's so awesome, because I feel the spirit every time we do. Prayers are answered, I know this. The atmosphere here is exciting, and it's great to be with so many other missionaries that are here for the same purpose. Keep me posted with what's going on in your lives because I really wanna know. Don't worry, I won't be mad if some really sick stuff has happened and I missed it because I know why I am here and that I am doing the right thing. I love you all and am trying to make you all proud. Thanks for everything. I hope to hear from you, and I mean all of you! Tell me what's goin on, I miss you guys! ha but really, keep it real, serve others, and hace la justo (Choose the Right).
Peace,
Elder Mangum

No comments:

Post a Comment